Friday, March 22, 2013

Whatever we call ourselves

I remember having a whole class discussion with a professor last semester about whether we, as future classroom teachers, preferred the term teacher to educator. I, of course, had my opinion and voiced it for why the term educator was superior and is what I envisioned for my life. I now have a new opinion and it is deeply parallel to the saying, "a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

I know how I define the word teacher and the word educator but I also know that my mind is not the only one defining these words and that I am not the only person identifying myself using these terms. No matter how you say it, if the adult in the room, in charge of training and instructing young minds, doesn't want to be there, isn't prepared or has a bad attitude everyone looses.


Some have an extreme passion for extending knowledge to willing and sometimes not-so-willing participants.  Others who just want to jump into a career because their first five choices didn't play out should just walk away.  It would be better for all parties involved if the persons not going to do what needs to be done to be honest with themselves and everyone else.

So, whatever we choose to call ourselves making sure things are being done the proper way is what is important.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. It is hard to learn or actually pay attention to a person with a bad attitude. As someone who has experienced having a teacher that clearly did not want to be there it was frustrating. Normally when a person does not love their job they put off negative energy which in turn rubs off on those around that individual. Too many times have I heard teachers say they do not like to teacher they just like the steady job. It is one of those situations that really irritates me because in my opinion you should not do anything that you do not love or at least enjoy doing. It hurts everyone that is involved during the situation.

    ReplyDelete