Friday, March 1, 2013

Read Across America Day!

So, my baby daughter's day car is wonderful! For the past two days they have been advertising for students to where their pajamas because they would be eating 'green eggs and ham' to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday. This morning we dressed in our cutes p.j.'s and headed to school with much excitement. This, of course, made me curious. After a very brief internet search I found that the National Education Agency has selected today as their 'Read Across America Day!' There was a big kick off in the New York Public Library to spread awareness of their year long program. While I am familiar with the National Education Agency I was unaware that this is the programs 16th year in existence. On the  NEA website  I read about many methods and resources I could take advantage of in my classroom and in my home in helps to raise and grow a nation of readers. the resources are relevant and the extensively, categorized book lists are very helpful for year round participants.


Now my school aged children spread the word at their school; and so the process continues. Their school will now be participating in the Read Across America program as early as next week! I am so glad that Dr. Seuss and this event have positively affected our lives. Though my children posses many Dr. Seuss books and they are read to the point of falling apart, I am glad to know that other children will be able to experience his magnificent writing.

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of bummed that there was no Dr. Seuss event at my youngest's school! After three straight preschool celebrations, it seemed silly that there's nothing with kids who are actually reading. Maybe it goes on a class to class basis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it's up to whoever the teacher or 'creative director' is. I don't see why there would be any reason that any institution couldn't participate. Dr.Seuss is a great way to pull kids into enjoying reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Seuss is such a iconic figure in children books. But, not all schools have things like your daughter is having at her school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember in 2nd grade I was obsessed with Dr. Seuss books I would write my own I was dead set on becoming the next Dr. Seuss. I feel it was very important to my development as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute I love Dr. Suess books. I love the fact that they are promoting reading and it has its own day.In elementry school we had our own green eggs and ham day at my school.

    ReplyDelete