Friday, February 22, 2013

Reflection: not just for the mirror.

     After reading an article about how to stay on top and in control of your sanity while teaching I realized that reflection is not just sitting around day dreaming about what I did wrong and how I wish it could be better.  The author expressed her thoughts and feelings during her initial experience of being a first time teacher Reading this article has made me even more motivated than before to take what I am going to do in the classroom and not only be effective for years to come but learn from my mistakes and make lessons meet my students more effectively every year.  I am disappointed to read that she worked on a campus where she felt alone and unsupported.  I do know that I will stay current with professional development and be a part of one or more professional learning communities. 




While I was reading I thought about how powerful it would be for myself as well as my current and future students if I were able to journal, reflect and then put those deliberate reflections into practice. I always planned to be an effective teacher.  I am very motivated to meet my students where they are, socially and academically and get them to be as close to where they need to be as I can.  I now have the vehicle of self-reflection to keep what I am doing current and documented.  A major plan I have now is to make sure I stay organized and keep as detailed as possible daily routines, lesson plans, and most importantly actions and reactions surrounding specific activities.

http://rapidintellect.com/AEQweb/6jul3208z5.htm

2 comments:

  1. Is this image from Google's Advanced Image Search, with photos free for reuse, or the regular search that gives you images that are not copyright-free? Why should I as a reader click on the link ex. Here's a link to the teacher's story that inspired this post.

    A huge movement is education concerns data-based change. So you want to have students do a skit--why? What about your previous assessment results or current research suggests that this is more effective? A reflective journal can provide one form of evidence to support changing practices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found this image with the settings on 'free to use and share.' I included the link so that readers will know the subject of my post, if they are interested they can read it and perhaps be inspired to implement this practice in a way that I have not thought of.

      Delete