Thursday, February 14, 2013

Existentialist for education!

     During the fall semester of 2012 I participated in a philosophical inventory questionnaire that identified MY educational philosophy or school of thought. After tallying the answers I chose, the score sheet revealed that the philosophy I most identify with is existentialism. I think along the lines of great men who believed that people must define themselves!  I do not fit into a stereo-type, statistic or box that anyone has or will make for me.  I see my path as an infinite possibility of options just waiting for me to take them.  This is important to know because I now understand that while I will follow the mandated curriculum of the classroom, school and district I choose to work in; I will be an educator that encourages my students to find things about themselves that they didn't know.  I will implement lessons that require students to get out of their comfort zones, think in different ways and pursue their own personal interests.  I will allow my students to develop critical thinking, collaboration, communication and creativity skills to better prepare them for their futures, whatever they may be.



    
     I realize that existentialist have been viewed as being lost and confused in this world, I do not accept that definition for myself.  I think about why some rules are the way they are, I have my own opinion about EVERYTHING!  I question authority, I decide how my day will go no matter what I am facing, and personal responsibility is a big factor in my life!

http://myfla.ws/blog/2008/05/24/top-5-qualities-of-good-teachers/

2 comments:

  1. Some people don't seem to realize that just because the content is mandated that there is more than one way to TEACH it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly! If that were true, everyone would be scoring 100% mastery level on ALL assessments.

    ReplyDelete