Thursday, April 18, 2013

Do you breathe where they breathe?


Do you teach from a distance? Do you clean your hands before, during and after every interaction with your students?  I am not just referring to the germophobes either.  Have you gotten sick on a regular basis since you began teaching (mainly EC-6 people)? 


Doing everything that we can do to make sure that our students are succesful starts with being present! What is our reason for requiring all students be present (another day's topic, I will return)?  As a professional educator, I need to maintain my health.  What good are we to our students if 1. we are never there? 2. We are there but feel like crap, or 3. feeling like crap and high on cough medicine! 

Taking care of ourselves is something that teachers know to do but not something discussed at the collegiate as it deals with the classroom, in my experience.  I have colleagues that seem to get sick once or twice a month and have to miss class.  I am aware of personal emergencies and sick days but to truly be effective I need to be in position as close to one-hundren percent of the time as possible.  A serious goal I have for myself is to make conscious decisions that will directly, positively affect my health.  As educators we must drink as much water as often as we can.  We must get enough sleep, and on a regular basis (the papers will be graded!).  Eating healthy can be fun, so do that more often. 

When I have a plan, I am saving time which ultimately brings me peace, happiness and overall efficiency.  I am learning that having a plan for the foundation of all areas of my life will cut out on a lot of trouble, stress, sadness and even sickness.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, as teachers we have to be in the best shape physical, emotional, and social. I suggest that before anyone becomes a teacher that we deal all the issues that may hinder us from being effective in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being present for our students is one of the most important things we can do as educators. Even though its not good to be sick around them, no one can teach your class and your students like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being present in your classroom is very important it can show the studnets that you can be counted on and always there when you need them. Be to school everyday is super important.

    ReplyDelete