Saturday, April 13, 2013

Get yourself together!


As a wife, a parent, and a college student I must have different areas of organization to keep track of.  I have never been the type of person to feel so overwhelmed that I would become self destructive or sabotaging.  I have, however; been in contact with some colleagues who seem to not be able to deal.  Classmates who resort to cheating, lying, stealing, bullying, drinking or other drugs sometimes exhibit these behaviors out of fear and feelings of inadequacy. 

There are measures that everyone can and should take in order to feel they have more control over their lives.  Planning and organization skills give me a sense success on a daily basis.  There is a great feeling of accomplishment and gratification that comes along with completing many or all items on my list-of-things-to-do.’ 

Knowing what is most important in your life, the reasons why you get up every morning, the goals you are trying to accomplish and the amount of time in which you wish to complete them are all aspects that should be incorporated into one’s planning process. 

The planner I purchased from a large dollar store chain that only cost $1.00 has been a constant every-changing document for the past two semesters.  The binder of weekly meal plans, blank and already fulfilled, serves as a great place to go back and get ideas. 
 

I like hard copies simply for documentation purposes. I guess I’m old-fashioned when it comes to pulling out technological devices at inappropriate time, but having my planner out is fine.

Which leads me to another aspect for being in control and completing tasks in a timely fashion; GETOFF THE INTERNET ALL THE TIME! Yes, I am aware of great internet, smart technology resources that are available for organizing your life and staying on a schedule, I use some of them as well.  But the social media sites that you think you’re only going to spend 5 minutes on and end up spending 5 hours on may be the reason you haven’t finished what you were supposed to finish.
Plan and Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like me, I always say "oh I'm just going to check my email" and end up on every social media network! Guess I need to manage my time wisely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our guilty pleasures. Some are just easily accessible... Lol.

      Delete
  2. If I don't check my email at least once every 20 minutes, I'm likely to miss the notice of a meeting called an hour in advance...or a panicking student's plea for help shortly before an assignment is due!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I feel that if I actually write down what I need to do, that I will actually remember it. I also have notice that people have restored to cheating, because they have run out of time or they didn't map out all of their plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Im so happy that pv at the beginning of the year gives out planners with out that I would be all over the place trying to remember things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was wonderful. I like to feel as though I'm pretty organized myself, but I do understand where you are coming from when you say that students spend a lot of time on social media sites instead of doing homework. As unfortunate as it is to say, I am one of those students. While I am organized and I do my homework, I also fall victim to my own mind tricks of believing "I'll only be on for minute" but instead spend long periods of time just procrastinating when I know something has to be done. I guess my time management skills are not where they should be, and this blog did help me to admit that. Maybe you can give me a few tips on how to stay focused and be more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that being a victim of social media is everyone that lets it consume them. There is a time and place for everything. Being organized is a very important feature you must have as a college student. But really everybody is not going to be organized like each other. Reason being is because everybody works off there own system. What works for them may not be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog has definitely helped me since in life there is always room for correction, after reading you blog I see that there are some changes that I need to make to get myself together for the better.

    ReplyDelete